The James Group sees Cyber Exposure as an emerging discipline for managing and measuring cybersecurity risk in the digital era. Cyber Exposure transforms security from static and siloed visibility into cyber risk to dynamic and holistic visibility across the modern attack surface. Cyber Exposure translates raw vulnerability data into business insights to help security teams prioritize and focus remediation based on business risk. This methodology provides executives and boards of directors with a way to objectively measure cyber risk to help guide strategic decision making. Just as other functions have a system of record – including ITSM for IT and CRM for Sales – Cyber Exposure solutions provide Security teams with a system of record to help them effectively manage and measure cyber risk.
Using this approach James Group builds on the roots of traditional Enterprise Vulnerability Management frameworks, designed for traditional assets such as IT endpoints and on-premises infrastructure, moves on from identifying bugs and misconfigurations and expanding to the following:
- Live discovery of any digital asset across any computing environment
- Continuous visibility into where an asset is secure, or exposed, and to what extent
- Prioritization of remediation based on business risk
- Benchmarking of cyber exposure compared to industry peers and best in class organizations
- Measurement of Cyber Exposure as a key risk metric for strategic decision support